Data About the Library
HISTORIC LIBRARY DATA
The First Library Building
- Arthur Nelson, the first library director, had been accumulating books for the collections since 1963 in a warehouse in San Bernardino. When the first three buildings constructed on campus were ready, the library of 50,000 volumes moved into Sierra Hall.
The Main Building - 1971
- The $4.4 million dollar project was funded January 19, 1966.
- The ground breaking ceremony was held on August 28, 1968.
- Designed and built by the James I. Barnes Construction Company of Claremont, California; completed on February 12, 1971, and fully occupied in June 1971 (even though the year displayed on the exterior of the building near the front steps is 1970).
- Square feet: 166,000 (expected to accommodate up to 300,000 volumes).
- Number of volumes in 1971: 150,000.
The Library Addition Project - 1994
- CSUSB's Physical Planning and Development office, under director William Shum, provided renovation planning.
- The project cost $22.6 million.
- It was designed and built by Rosetti Associates Architects of El Segundo, California; begun May 1992 and completed in 1994.
- Square feet: 128,000.
- Number of volumes in 1992: 500,000.
- The finished project won a coveted construction industry award, the 1994 Charles Pankow Award for Innovation. View the John M. Pfau Library floor plans.
Seismic Retrofit Project -1998
- A seismic retrofit project which focused primarily on the older portion of the building was completed in 1998.
- Anonymous. "College Trustees OK Plans for $4.4 Million Library." San Bernardino Sun-Telegram, Jan. 20, 1966, A-17.
- Anonymous. "Six-Story Cal State, S.B., Library Almost Finished." San Bernardino Sun-Telegram, Feb. 12, 1971, B-5.
- Burgess, Michael. "The Book and Beyond, Part I: A Brief History of the John M. Pfau Library." John M. Pfau Library Newsletter, Spring 2005, p.2.
- Singleton, Brent. "History of the John M. Pfau Library." John M. Pfau Library Website.
- Spina, Sam. "Knowledge by the Shovel." San Bernardino Sun-Telegram, Aug. 28, 1968, B-1.
For further information on the history of CSUSB in general consult:
- Burgess, Michael. The Coyote Chronicles: A Chronological History of California State University, San Bernardino, 1960-2010. Rockville, Md.: Borgo Press, 2010.
- McAfee, Ward. In Search of Community: A History of California State University, San Bernardino. San Bernardino: The Foundation, 1990.
CURRENT LIBRARY DATA
April 15, 2015
The Library Building
- Square feet: 294,000.
The Library CollectionsNote: All numbers below are estimates.
- Number of printed books: 731,611.
- Number of electronic books: 136,842.
- Number of online journals: 23,000.
- Number of online government documents: 100,000.
- Number of databases: 150.
- Number of CDs: 1,563.
- Number of DVDs: 1,001.
Usage Statistics 2013-2014
- Virtual visits to the Web site: 548,731.
- Number of searches in the catalog: 447,000.
- Items checked out (reserves): 22,613.
- Items checked out (other): 71,693.
- Questions answered by the reference librarians (academic year 13/14, not calendar year): 17,490.
- Interlibrary Loan (to other libraries): 14,655.
- Interlibrary Loan (from other libraries): 8,850.